The fourth player in our potential patriots series is somebody that has peaked considerable interest from the team in the last month: DE Tarell Basham out of Ohio. While Trey Flowers enjoyed a breakout season in his second year recording 9.5 sacks in 11 starts, the team will likely be looking to bring in additional pass rushers either in FA or the draft. Basham is the #1 overall player in our Patriots specific Big Board that can be found in our 2017 Patriots NFL Draft Guide:
6’4” 269 lbs.
#93 DE | Ohio Bobcats
Not ranked as a recruit coming out of high school, Tarell Basham ended up shining at Ohio with a productive four year career. He carried his momentum to the Senior Bowl with an impressive performance in drills & then aced the NFL combine. He has been a late riser in the draft process, going from a mid-late round prospect to a 2nd-3rd round projection..
- Prototypical size & athleticism
- Active at LOS with hands frequently in passing lanes
- Sets edge with technique & power
- Multiple pass rushing moves - bull rush, swim, spin
- High motor - finishes nearly every play
- Strong at the point of attack
- Athletic enough to drop into coverage
- Reads option plays well
- Not overly quick or explosive off the LOS
- Level of competition
- Bend only adequate off the edge
- Tendency to overpursue himself out of potential sacks
- Scheme specific - best suited as a 4-3 DE
Motor & Finish
Patience & Discipline vs. Run
Swim Move & Finish
Active Hands in Passing Lanes
Possessing a complete game & great competitive nature, Tarell Basham is one of the safer players in the draft. He likely will compete for a starting DE spot in a 4-3 defense during his rookie season and go on the have a productive career for years to come.
Mid-late 1st round